Sunday, May 12, 2024

Fingernail in Maggie's Ear ?!?



I came out of an IEP meeting to find this note from the office.  I laughed so hard.  Like, really?! A fingernail in her ear?!  Life is always interesting with Maggie.  I called Jean, the Health Tech at Mickle.  She has known Maggie for almost 2 years now and can appreciate my daughter's uniqueness.  She said she couldn't see anything in her ear but Maggie insisted there was a fingernail in her ear.  We laughed together and I said I would keep an eye on it.

It was a dad week, but I was picking up the girls so they could go with me to Huntington night at the Children's Zoo.  Maggie told me she was scratching her ear and the fingernail broke off.  I was finding it hard to believe but reassured her that Jean, the health tech, didn't see anything so it was probably just a scratch.  Friday, I sent her to school and back to her dad's house for the weekend.

Sunday, the girls came home and Maggie was complaining that her ear hurt and she was congested.  I took her to urgent care to be looked at.  The PA said it wasn't a bacterial sinus infection so she wouldn't give her any medicine, but there was a fingernail in her ear.  Maggie jumped every time the nurse or doctor tried to get it out.  The doctor didn't want to risk hurting her ear worse and was going to send us to an ENT to have it removed.  I talked to Maggie about how she needed to hold still.  The PA then talked her way through removing it so Maggie knew when and what to expect.  She pulled the chunk of fingernail out of her ear.  Maggie started feeling better pretty quickly.

On the way home, Maggie asked if I wanted to know how it really happened.  I said yes.  She said that she ripped the nail off her right hand and then when her left ear started itching due to allergies, she decided to scratch the inside of the ear using the nail that she'd just ripped off.  While scratching, she lost hold the fingernail and it fell into her ear.  My response was, "You did this on purpose?!" and I busted out laughing.  To which she replied, "Ya, that's why I didn't want to tell you."  I composed myself enough to ask, "Well, are you ever going to do that again?!"  Then Maggie says, "probably not."  I laughed harder but got out, "Probably??? Your answer should be NO NEVER!  You need to learn from your mistakes!" The conversation just got better when she declared, "Well, Mom, I'm not perfect and I can't guarantee that I'd NEVER do something."  My laughter was starting to be mixed with exasperation when I replied, "You need to learn from this situation."  She ended with, "I learned that's not a good idea."  OK, I can live with that!  This child is so interesting to raise!

 

No comments: