Wednesday, December 9, 2009

15 Months Old


Mena did qualify for services through LPS. Each week a physical therapist and a language teacher come to our house since their evaluation showed she was slightly behind in her physical development and her language comprehension. Sue (PT) and Ann (teacher) are great to work with. I actually already knew Ann since she had worked with a couple kids in my class room at St. Mark's. Each visit with Sue and Ann is really about them teaching me what I need to know to teach Mena the next skill she needs to learn. They are great about breaking each skill down into little pieces that Mena can master and she's making a ton of progress. Mena can now climb up the stairs, she can put rings on a post, and she can drink sitting up when we hold her cup. Right now we're doing activities with her to improve her balance and to teach her to move backwards. I'm really glad I've got Sue and Ann to guide me because Mena is really benefiting from all this.

My funny story of the month is from a grocery shopping trip to Super Saver. Mena was pulling things out of my purse to play with as I did our shopping. First she pulled out my phone to play with it; no big deal. Next she found my calculator; no big deal. Then I turned around with a can of pineapple in my hand to see her waving two pads in the air. I snatched those out of her hands so quickly and prayed that no one had seen her!

Mena was also pretty cute when I was reading the Bible story book to her. I pointed to the picture of Daniel and the Lion's Den. I growled like a lion and she mimicked my growl. Mena pats her baby's back like we pat her back and feeds her baby with a spoon like we feed her, although the spoon usually hits the baby in the belly rather than the mouth! Mena also tries to comb her hair after we comb it. It's great to see her mimicking us now!

Mena just keeps on growing...We boxed up the 18 month shirts and got out the 2T shirts. The sleeves are a little long but her belly stays covered up now. She's still wearing the 12-18 month pants. Mena had her 15 month check up today. She weighs 24 pounds and 1 ounce (70%), is 31 1/2 inches long (81%), and her head is 18 1/2 inches (75-90%). The doctor also gave us permission to experiment with decreasing her milk of magnesia dosage. At 12 months the doctor decreased the dosage from twice a day to once a day and now we're decreasing it further to see if her digestive tract is ready to do it on her own. The doctor is really pleased with the progress she's making in the variety of foods that she's able to eat and with the progress she's made with the PT's help. It felt great to get such positive feedback from the doctor this time around!

No comments: