Thursday, March 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday

 


I took the girls to church on Ash Wednesday.  Maggie stayed in the nursery and Mena went to the service with me.  Mena enjoyed the music and walked with me to each of the stations.  I received the ashes on my forehead but Mena backed away when the pastor reached to put some on her forehead.  She was very interested in the station where I wrote on a piece of paper and then the paper dissolved in the water.  I skipped the candle station and then Mena said she wanted to go the "egg" table.  We went to the table with the rocks.  I didn't hear what we were supposed to do at this station since Mena had been talking to me, but we picked out a rock and I wrote "Jesus" on it.  The other people had left their rocks on the table but Mena insisted on taking her "egg" with her.  She has it in her bedroom now.

After the service was over and we'd gotten Maggie, then Mena said she wanted some ashes on her forehead.  I took her back by the offices where I'd seen our pastor carry the dish of ashes.  As we got to the door our friend Jamie who works at the church came out.  Jamie got the ashes and knelt down to put some on Mena.  Mena backed away again so Jamie invited Mena to put some ashes from the dish onto the back of Jamie's hand.  Mena did that and then let Jamie put some on her forehead.  Mena was so proud to do what she saw the rest of us doing.

When we got home Mena was excited to look in the mirror at herself.  She was holding her bangs back so we could see her ashes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: