Tuesday, June 12, 2012

ExCITE End of the Year Program

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


On May 22nd, Mena's class had their end of the year program.  We started in her classroom where the kids sang some songs for us.  Mena was singing and doing the actions.  Then we went outside for the obstacle course.  Mena did great on all the activities.  It was funny when she tried to do the hopscotch and the wind blew the hopscotch away!  I had to put it back together before she could hop on it!

I started grad school on May 14th so I had to get permission from my professor to cut out of class 25 minutes early so I could make it to her program.  School has started well for me.  I am earning my K-6 SPED teaching certificate.  Mena was a little confused at first about my going back to school.  For some reason she thought I was leaving.  I drove her past my school and explained that I go to school and come home each night, just like she does. 

In May, we increased the amount of time that the girls spend at their dad's house.  Gene said they both did just fine at his house with the increased time.  I had behavior issues with Mena when she started getting less time with me.  We now have emotional faces on her bedroom door to help us communicate our feelings.  I also created a picture schedule that I hung on the wall in the hallway so she can see what is going to happen at each part of the day.  These have helped her in the adjustment between houses so this last time Mena came home, I had no temper tantrums to deal with from her!

Another new thing for Mena was that she got to try roller skating for the first time.  On April 26th, her school had a function at Skate Zone.  Maggie stayed home with Gene and I took Mena to the skate party.  I stayed in my tennis shoes so I could help her learn to balance.  She put her skates on and made it one time around the floor and then declared she was done.  We rested for a bit and I asked if she wanted to go skating again; she said, "I done." 

No comments: