Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Platte River State Park









We went camping at Louisville SRA for 5 days and 4 nights.  One of the days we went to Platte River State Park to go hiking.  We also had ice cream that afternoon since it was so hot out!

We camped right by the playground so the kids could go whenever they wanted.  The new pop-up camper was great.  Pollie's kennel fit under the dinette table and we just sat cross legged for meals.  The AC worked to keep us cool.  The first morning we drove into Walmart in Omaha to buy a life vest for Mena and undies for Maggie.  Maggie packed everything on the list I gave her, except the underwear!  That afternoon it started raining so we drove to Dollar General for a deck of cards and coloring books.  Being stuck inside while it rained was no big deal in the new (to us) camper since there was more room!  We played Old Maid, Go Fish, and Crazy 8's.  The girls are so much fun now that we can play games together and do more fun stuff beyond the care-taking that young kids need.

Pollie did well climbing to the the top of the tower at Platte River SRA and she obeyed me when other people came up the tower.  When we went hiking, Pollie did well if it was just the three of us.  There was another family with a boy that wasn't listening to his mother.  When the trail split, I made sure we went the other direction.  Unfortunately the trails met back up again.  I saw the kid running ahead of his mother.  I put Pollie in a sit beside me and waited for them to pass.  The kid didn't go straight; instead he turned and ran right past me.  Pollie barked and jumped at him.  I gave a hard correction so she didn't get the boy, but her face slapped against my stomach with her mouth open.  One of her teeth caught my stomach.  All the kids moved back from Pollie.  I walked her away from everyone and put her into a sit again.  Once everyone had passed, the girls and I went back to the camper with Pollie.  I washed my cut and it wasn't too bad.  It healed within a week without any troubles, but I was so mad that Pollie can't be trusted around people she doesn't know.  She did well in her kennel in the camper whenever we went to the lake to swim or to the bath house to shower.  She also did well when I walked her to the playground with the girls and kept her slightly back so no one was too close to her.

Showering turned into a science and math experiment for us over the week.  Each night we alternated which bath house we went to and which shower stall we used.  We compared water pressure for rinsing our hair and how many quarters we had to use to get all 3 of us clean.  The best shower we were able to only pay 2 quarters compared to 3 quarters on other nights!

No comments: