Wednesday, April 28, 2021

New Insights


We've known since kindergarten that Maggie has ADHD and we've been able to accommodate how she learns and what she is capable of doing at each age.  Since Mena was a year old, we've been left to wonder what was causing her struggles and how best to help her.  She struggled following my surgery and her psychologist called for a parent meeting.  Dr. Klinkebiel talked to us about how she was seeing red flags for autism in Mena's behavior.  We agreed to further testing.  Mena now has the diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Adjustment Disorder with Depressive Symptoms, and highly likely for Autism Spectrum Disorder.  Even her physical struggles with the left side of her body can be explained by the poor motor planning that comes with autism.  Anxiety and struggling to adjust also come with autism.  Another psychologist will test Mena with the ADOS this summer to confirm autism.

I read a book on females with autism and was shocked at how much not only Mena fits the description, but so do I!  It would explain so many of my struggles.  The difference is that I grew up in a small town with the same people in my class from kindergarten through 12th grade.  My social skills were just chalked up to just who I was.  I'm compiling a list of characteristics and behaviors that I struggled to learn and will take those to someone who can test me for autism.  It is common for adult women with autism to have learned to mask the symptoms by my age so a thorough history will help determine if I have it.

 

No comments: