Saturday, January 20, 2024

A Good Match





We looked online for another female guinea pig but the weather had been bad and I was unwilling to drive outside of Lincoln for a guinea pig.  Philomena was checking PetFinder hourly between classes in the hope of finding a guinea pig.  One came up at our Capital Humane Society, but when I went to meet her, she bit me.  She was very skittish and not a good fit for us so I didn't adopt her.  

The next day Coco came up on Capital Humane Society's website.  Philomena wanted me to go immediately but I had plans after work and waited until Saturday.  It was a mixed emotion day.  First, I drove to pick up Emilia's ashes and then second, drove to meet Coco.  She was so friendly and loving!  I brought her home with me.  

I needed to introduce the guinea pigs slowly to make sure they would get along, but Coco was so well socialized that I decided to try just putting her directly into the cage.  She and Desdemona were cautious of each other.  I sat in the living room so I could watch them.  As the evening went on, they started warbling to each other.  I hadn't realized how quiet Emilia had become and was pleasantly surprised with all the sounds coming from the cage.  I decided they would be fine and I didn't feel the need to separate them when I went to sleep.  They've been a great pair of guinea pigs.

 

No comments: