Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Good-bye Emilia




A big snow storm hit Lincoln at the same time that Emilia took a turn for the worst.  Her breathing became more labored.  I made phone calls but didn't want to risk driving in the weather.  The vet had previously told us that the tumor was inoperable and would eventually take her life.  My previous experience led me to believe that she would stop eating when she reached end of life, but I realized that I needed to make a decision for her.  The tumor had grown so large that her stomach was as large as a pregnant guinea pig but hard to the touch rather than soft like a stomach should be.  I made phone calls asking about the cost of euthanization.  I decided on the Capital Humane Society due to the most reasonable cost.  By the time I got an appointment, the girls had gone to their dad's for their week with him.  He allowed me to stop by so Maggie could say goodbye and Philomena to go with me to drop Emilia off with the Capital Humane Society veterinarian.  Afterwards, Philomena and I got drinks at Starbucks.  Then Philomena and I visited my dad at Tabitha.  I enjoyed the company and extra time with Philomena.

 

No comments: