Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Good-bye Emmy Lou


Mena and the daycare kids all have loved playing with Emmy Lou, but I was getting too stressed out. Emmy Lou needed more training to be around so many kids and I just didn't have the energy or desire to give her that training. Emmy Lou also needed regular exercise which Gene and I weren't giving her. It was getting too difficult for me to try and push a stroller and control Emmy Lou. Gene's back in school again and that doesn't leave much time to be exercising the dog. So after months of discussing it we finally decided to find Emmy Lou a new home. Donna, a co-worker of someone we used to work with, has adopted Emmy Lou. Mena was here the night Donna picked her up. Mena gave Emmy Lou a treat and watched as Gene and Donna loaded everything into Donna's vehicle. Mena stood on the couch and waved good-bye as Donna pulled out of the driveway.

For the most part it's been an easy transition to not having Emmy Lou in the house. Gene has missed her the most but is glad that I'm less stressed. Mena saw a picture of a dog looked at me with her hands up as if to say where's our dog. I said, "Emmy Lou went to Donna's house, remember?" Then Mena went to look out the window, didn't see Donna's car (of course), and went back to playing. I thought I would miss Emmy Lou or regret the decision, but I've felt only relief at no longer having the responsiblity so I take that to mean we made the right decision.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: