Friday, October 21, 2016

Maggie was SICK!!

Fall break had it's ups and downs.  Camp Fontanelle was fun.  Sunday we went to church which went well.  After church we stopped at the store and Maggie told me she was cold.  I thought that was weird because she's always hotter than the rest of us and I thought it was beautiful out with comfortable temps inside and outside.  Before we left the store, she had pulled her arms inside her shirt because she was so cold.  At home, Mena and I got lunch while Maggie fell asleep on the couch.  Again, weird because she's usually a very active kid.  She didn't feel warm when she fell asleep.  Her temp was around 102.  She had 4 potty accidents that night.  I called Monday morning and got a 1:15 pm doctor appt.  Her temp was around 100 when I called and by noon it was 104.5.  I called again and they told me to put her in a bath to bring the temp down.  With the bath and tylenol, it came down to 101.5.  Maggie had a throat swab, gave a urine sample, had 2 vials of blood drawn, and received a shot in each thigh.  The rapid strep came back negative.  The PA brought Maggie's pediatrician in to consult.  I was told I had to get her to drink more fluids or they were going to have to put her in the hospital for dehydration.  They didn't know what infection they were fighting so the two shots were a general antibiotic to buy them 24 hours to figure out what was wrong.  Her temp stayed around 101 to 102 with the shots.  The next day they called to tell me that she had E coli growing in the urine culture.  They prescribed a specific medicine for E coli and her temp came down to 99 to 100 within 12 hours.  Within 24 hours her temp was back to normal and she was playing.  I found this more scary than the time Mena fell and needed stitches.  Then we knew what was wrong and what to do.  Not knowing was horrible for me!

No comments: