Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Training Pheobe




Pheobe is a very active puppy and it is hard to get pictures unless she's sleeping.  I took her to the vet when she was 11 weeks old and we started her shots.  The previous owner hadn't done anything for this litter of puppies.  She should have had her first shots at 8 weeks but the vet created a plan for getting her series of shots completed.  Pheobe also has fleas and worms in her fecal sample so she's got meds for both.  The good news is that she's a healthy dog and these are both treatable.  My impulsive decision should be ok!

She's learned sit, down, wait, and come.  I trained on come while we were in the basement.  I was in my craft room and the girls were playing doll house.  Pheobe played near me and then she'd wonder off to see the girls.  When I heard them telling her "no," then I'd call "Pheobe, come!" and she'd come as fast as she could for a treat.  She will wait in a sit for me to exit the door and say "ok."  I'm working on "nice kisses" and chewing on toys rather than people or clothing.  She's got enough energy to walk 25 minutes every morning with me, but I need to figure out how to make her understand she needs to stay beside me.  Overall, we're making good progress.  I've read a puppy book by Cesar Millan which helped.  I'm going to a puppy class beginning August 12th.

No comments: