Monday, May 13, 2013

Vacation--Mormon Trail Center

 
 
 
 
 


My vacation from school and Mena's vacation from school didn't match up, but we were able to do some fun things in the afternoon.  Monday, I picked Mena up from school.  We were going to pick up Maggie from daycare and then drive to Durham Museum.  As I plugged the address into my GPS, I reread the hours open and realized they were closed on Monday.  I explained to Mena that they were closed and we'd have to go on another day.  I asked what she wanted to do with our afternoon.  She said we should find a museum that was always open.  We picked up Maggie, drove home, and got on the internet to find some place to go.  We chose the Mormon Trail Center.  I thought the girls would enjoy something with a covered wagon.

The truck isn't the most comfortable place for Maggie to take a nap.  On our drive to Omaha, Maggie laid on her own nap while sleeping.

I didn't realize the Mormon Trail Center was a mission center for the Mormons but I probably should have known that.  I left with a Book of Mormon but declined to provide my phone number for a follow up conversation :)  The college age girl that gave us our tour was great with the girls.  She followed their lead even when the girls didn't go in chronological order.

The girls enjoyed trying on the hats like the pioneers wore, but wouldn't try on any of the dresses.  Mena is holding the handle of the hand cart like the poorer pioneers would have used to move.  Unfortunately, the girls could only look at the covered wagon and couldn't climb in.  There was a display that showed how the people came from Europe in a boat before they traveled across the land in wagons.  The girls were so excited by the bunkbeds.  Of all the displays, the bunkbeds were their favorite!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: