Sunday, July 14, 2013

Camping at Louisville SRA, July 11-14, Swimming

 
 


The girls spent Wednesday evening/night at their dad's.  Then he dropped them off to me on Thursday morning before he went to work.  The girls and I packed our clothes and food in the truck before driving to Louisville.  We arrived around 10:30 am.  By 12:30 pm, we had our tent set up and our lunch eaten.  Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, we swam in the lake.  A little of our time was spent in the sand and a lot of our time was spent in the lake.  I was surprised to realize that the girls seemed to prefer the lake over a swimming pool.  I think it was due to the zero-entry versus the 3 ft depth of the swimming pool at our complex. 

The first day the girls stayed where it was so shallow that I was able to sit in the water and it only came up to my chest.  The second day the girls got a bit more adventurous and by the third day, I was holding the girls' hands as they swam out to where it was as deep as my chest while standing up.  Both of the girls wore their ladybug life vests so I wouldn't have to worry if they accidentally let go of my hand.  The funny thing was when I told the girls we needed to turn around.  I told Maggie we needed to turn around because she couldn't touch the ground of the lake because it was so deep.  She was perfectly calm when she didn't know she couldn't touch, but as soon as I said that she started freaking out.  I told her to swim back like she swam out and the life vest would keep her safe.  She calmed down and even wanted to go back out deep again after that.

The picture of Mena alone in the water is when she was laying in the water with her hands on the bottom of the lake.  I was sitting on the shore with Maggie who was digging in the sand.  There weren't many times when the girls went in opposite directions like that and Mena is such a cautious child that I didn't have to worry about her doing anything dangerous!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: