Sunday, July 8, 2012

Shakespeare on the Green



On June 30th, Beth Z. and I took Mena with us to see "Comedy of Errors" in Omaha at Shakespeare on the Green.  We ate a picnic supper while we waited for the play to start.  Mena decided she wanted to sit in her stroller when the play started.  Not only did she sit in it, but she buckled herself in and asked me to put the tray on for her.  Then in the first few minutes of the play she got scared.  Two of the characters got into a fight and started hitting and kicking each other.  I took the approach that it was all pretend and no one was getting hurt.  This didn't help so I asked if she wanted to sit on my lap.  After she cuddled up to me, I continued explaining that it was all pretend.  Then I had a big eye-opener when she said to me, "Mommy, they need to use their words!"  I agreed with her and we talked about how you aren't supposed to hit or kick because it hurts people. 

Mena sat with me for part of the play and then got out her backpack to color and play with toys.  She then had fun with the flashlight.  Beth and I kept having to remind her to point the flashlight at her toys and not at people or the sky or wave it all around.  I was able to hold the flashlight for her and she focused on coloring.  At the end I asked if she wants to go next year and she said, "yes."

Mena stayed awake until we came to the city limits of Lincoln.  When I dropped off Beth, Mena was asleep.  When I pulled into our garage Mena was so sad that Beth was gone and she didn't get to say good-bye.  I asked if she wanted me to wake her up next year to say good-bye and she said, "yes."  Last year she also cried when she didn't get to tell Beth good-bye so I plan to wake her up next year!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: